On 23 May 2012, at 07:16, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:

> If you will have a U+20A4 LIRA SIGN _and_ a U+20BA TURKISH LIRA SIGN,

We have a RUPEE SIGN and an INDIAN RUPEE SIGN.

> designers _will_have_to_ make a visual distinction between them,

Yes, that's the intention.

> forcing them to take on the poor design "official" design, not allowing them
> to interpret creatively the sign like they did with the Euro to make it more
> visually pleasing.

Not true. A community of typographers is already discussing how to harmonize
the new sign with fonts in the normal way.

> Of course, if you buy "too quickly and too cheap", as Andreas put it, and
> encode the new glyph variant of the Lira sign

It's not. It's another glyph variant of the letter L.

> which happens to be the one preferred for future Turkish banknotes and coins,
> you open up Pandora's box by forcing a need for distinction, where there is —
> as per status-quo — none. You have been warned :-)

There is nothing new here.

2003-02-24 ₲ ₳ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2579.pdf
2003-10-01 ؋   http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2640.pdf
2004-04-23 ₴ ₵ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2743.pdf
2008-03-06 ₷   http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3390.pdf
2008-03-06 ₸   http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3392.pdf
2010-02-10 ֏   ftp://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3771.pdf (KP)
2010-07-19 ₹   http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3862.pdf
2012-04-17 ₺   http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n4258.pdf