> From: Peter Constable <peter...@microsoft.com>
> CC: "nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org" <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org>, "unicode@unicode.org"
>       <unicode@unicode.org>
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:15:51 +0000
>
> The largest share of customers, by far, wouldn't want us to add new features
> to XP since that would entail risks of new bugs, application compatibility
> regressions, and frequent need to retrain users. If Ford or BMW were
> continuously retrofitting design changes to vehicles in use, the mechanics,
> parts dealers etc. would have headaches keeping up.

I'm sorry, but your analogy is broken.  OS updates are installed by
myself, so no dealers, let alone mechanics, are involved, and no spare
parts are anywhere in sight.  This is software; any analogy with
hardware is almost always fundamentally wrong in any number of levels.

And I did mention that these upgrades could have been offered as
"optional", so only those who really need them would install them
(since "optional" updates are not automatically installed when the
user chooses "express" installation, something 99.99% of users and the
automatic update installation do).

> You shouldn't expect Unicode 6.2 support in an Android phone from 2008; even
> less so, from a Windows XP system from 2001.

XP SP3 is not a 2001 system.  It was released in May 2008.  It
upgraded many parts of Windows, including Internet Explorer.  I don't
see why it couldn't upgrade Uniscribe.