From: Eli Zaretskii [mailto:e...@gnu.org]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 11:29 AM
To: Peter Constable
Cc: nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org; unicode@unicode.org
Subject: Re: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

> From: Peter Constable <peter...@microsoft.com>
> CC: "nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org" <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org>, "unicode@unicode.org"
>       <unicode@unicode.org>
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:15:51 +0000
>
> The largest share of customers, by far, wouldn't want us to add new features
> to XP since that would entail risks of new bugs, application compatibility
> regressions, and frequent need to retrain users. If Ford or BMW were
> continuously retrofitting design changes to vehicles in use, the mechanics,
> parts dealers etc. would have headaches keeping up.

I'm sorry, but your analogy is broken.  OS updates are installed by myself, so
no dealers, let alone mechanics, are involved, and no spare parts are anywhere
in sight.  This is software; any analogy with hardware is almost always
fundamentally wrong in any number of levels.

And I did mention that these upgrades could have been offered as "optional", so
only those who really need them would install them (since "optional" updates
are not automatically installed when the user chooses "express" installation,
something 99.99% of users and the automatic update installation do).

> You shouldn't expect Unicode 6.2 support in an Android phone from 2008; even
> less so, from a Windows XP system from 2001.

XP SP3 is not a 2001 system.  It was released in May 2008.  It upgraded many
parts of Windows, including Internet Explorer.  I don't see why it couldn't
upgrade Uniscribe.