The notation { } is quite correct. It just isn’t an atomic symbol for the empty set but an expression consisting of the two characters “{” and “}”, with a list (here, an empty list) of elements between them.
Reminds me of typographically composite stuff that has its own scalar value ("code point") now:
    := is ≔
    ... is …
(Yes, they're different because they're semantically atomic, unlike { }.)

I was just browsing Bourbaki's "Éléments", and saw ∅ there. I wasn't sure because Springer uses LaTeX for a lot of things now, which has both \emptyset (producing something resembling the German variant, a struck-through zero, though I know many of the German resources I looked at didn't use LaTeX) and \varnothing (producing ∅). But this
Regarding the empty set, the page
http://jeff560.tripod.com/set.html
rather convincingly attributes the symbol to André Weil, who says that it was inspired by the Norwegian letter “Ø”.
clarifies all.

Thx,
Stephan