On 9/14/2013 6:24 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
It facilitates comment by those who are reviewing the text.
If you add proofreaders' marks to an especially difficult manuscript, maybe. I've barely seen annotated papers with comments that would not have fit into the margins, and there's still the back (oh no! in that case you'll need to remember to hand-photocopy such a page, if you need to photocopy the annotations and corrections for some reason). In the majority of cases they would have fit comfortably. For the small number of cases where they wouldn't, everyone keep in mind that "space for comments" isn't the only factor: being able to go back and forth easily to refer to and remind oneself of other portions of the text can get a nuisance if what feels like a short paper is printed on too large a pile of pages.