""Martin J. Dürst"" <due...@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> In a followup, Line (http://line.me/en/), the most popular Japanese mobile
> message app (similar to WhatsApp) got popular mostly because of their
> gorgeous collection of 'stickers' (over 10,000), fortunately after realizing
> that the technically correct way to deal with them was not squeezing them
> into the PUA, but treating them as inline images, avoiding headaches down the
> line for the Unicode Consortium :-).

There is another possible way to proceed, namely to use markup bubbles for
transmission and to decode them with a local OpenType colour font, where the
glyphs of the decoded items are unmapped.

I have successfully tested such a markup bubble technique in monochrome for
nine-character markup bubbles, for a different project, using a font made using
High-Logic FontCreator 7 and applied using Serif PagePlus X5.

William Overington