On 10/3/2015 11:24 AM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
Quote/Cytat - Doug Ewell <d...@ewellic.org> (Sat 03 Oct 2015 08:00:12 PM CEST):

Sean Leonard wrote:

What I understand is that Draft 1 got shot down because it was at
variance with the nascent Unicode effort;

If I remember correctly, Draft 1 looked a lot like an updated and expanded version of ISO 2022, much more than it did like today's Unicode/10646.

Rob Pike, Ken Thompson
Hello World

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.html

The draft of ISO 10646 was not very attractive to us. It defined a sparse set of 32-bit characters, which would be hard to implement and have punitive storage requirements. Also, the draft attempted to mollify national interests by allocating 16-bit subspaces to national committees to partition individually. The suggested mode of use was to ‘‘flip’’ between separate national standards to implement the international standard.

Yes, that's the one.

Sean