On 3 Apr 2017, at 23:07, Asmus Freytag (c) <asm...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>> Actually it does. I'm amazed that you don't see the connection.
>>>
>> I’ve never understood you when you back up into that particular kind of
>> abstract rhetoric.
>
> Sometimes thinking through something in abstract terms actually clarifies the
> situation.

Of course I know that’s your view. It’s just never been an effective
communication strategy between you and me generally.

>>> The “meaning” of a chess-problem matrix is the whole 8 × 8 board, not the
>>> empty dark square at b4 or the white pawn on
>
> In other words, you assert that partial boards never need to be displayed.
> (Let's take that as read, then).

No, I am sure that a variety of board shapes can be set in plain text with
these conventions, though the principle concern is classical chess notation.

>> The “problem” the higher-level protocol is supposed to solve is the one
>> where a chess piece of one colour sits in an em-squared zone whether light
>> or dark. In lead type this was a glyph issue. Lead type had just exactly
>> what my proposal has: A piece with in-line text metrics, spaced harmoniously
>> with digits and letters, and square sorts with and without hatching.
>
> Leaving aside the abstract question whether modeling lead type is ipso facto
> the best solution in all cases…

I think it was a good expedient solution in lead type and that this proposal
offers a robust parseable digital version of that solution, and I assert people
will make use of that data structure.

>> OK, then you support the part of the proposal that applies VS1 and VS2 to
>> the chess pieces.
>
> My statement just was that a proposal where piece + VS should be M-square,
> piece w/o VS should be generic, might make some sense (and same for a
> suitable "empty" cell).
>
> The next question would be whether the alternation in background is best
> expressed in variation sequences or by some other means.

I think the value in the data structures I have described is best retained as
text. Anything else just seems it would be simply needlessly complex,

> If you never need to show just a single field, then I concede that the main
> drawback of variation selectors for the background style is absent; however,
> reading ahead in your message, the partial grid appears to be common,
> therefore the reason to choose an alternate solution to the background style
> is a strong one.

Well, it’s text, Asmus, so you can delete all but one line of a board if you
want:

▕▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁♘︀▨︁□︀▏

There. So… what are you talking about? It’s a text matrix. It’s like a kind of
poem.

▗▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▖
▕□︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁♞︀▨︁▏
▕▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▏
▕□︀▨︁♔︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁▏
▕▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁♘︀▨︁□︀▏
▕□︀▨︁□︀▨︁♚︀▨︁□︀▨︁▏
▕▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▨︁□︀▏
▕□︀▨︁□︀♙︁♛︀▨︁□︀▨︁▏
▕▨︁□︀♕︁□︀▨︁♖︀▨︁□︀▏
▝▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▘

It even looks like one. That’s a meaningful pattern. A kind of writing system.

>> The colour of the matrix is NOT redundant for a human reader.
>>
> OK -- in that case you've actually made an argument for duplicating the codes
> for ALL the pieces (as well as the empties).

Why? It’s text. It’s spelling. These structures are read. There’s no reason to
encode two letter C’s because one is pronounced [k] and one [s].

> That way, you are guaranteed that (if the font supports the glyphs) you get
> what you want.

Then you’d have to have three, because there are three kinds of things that
need to be in a single font: by itself, on a light square, and on a dark
square.

> With variation selectors for background color, you do not get what you want
> for the pieces.

I implemented it! It works!

> Having the system use specific character codes for the empties and variation
> selectors for the pieces is a needless complication; just duplicate the few
> pieces with a hatched background. (The precise style of hatching should be
> left to the font - that's not something that you specify in plain text).

Your idea really isn’t better.

> Leave the question of requesting M-square metrics to a (single) variation
> selector and you are done. (the convention would be that 25A8 + VS results in
> an M-square glyph using some hatching that matches that of the hatched code
> points for chess pieces, not necessarily matching the hatching style that you
> get for 25A8 w/o the VS). (Alternatively, you could add a code for "dark
> cell" so that the hatching can be anything whether or not there's  VS).

You want WHITE CHESS KNIGHT, and WHITE CHESS KNIGHT ON SQUARE, and use a VS
that changes the colour of the square? That is less legible in plain text than
my proposal. Not as good. Detrimental to the user indeed.

> Now, this model is much closer to the way VSs are used for math operators
> (but the reasoning may be a bit abstract, so I won't bother you with it here).

I don’t agree that your model is better than mine. Interesting, but not better.

> If the proposal duplicates the pieces that are on dark squares and does not
> use any VS sequences to select the color of the square (but only to select
> the M-square metrics) it would be more robust and less complex to implement.
> (A chess font would not need to do anything but provide the right glyphs and
> ignore the VS, because they would be in M-squar metrics anyway).

Then you’re still stuck for a solution for non-em-square characters for inline
text.

Michael Everson