On 7 Apr 2017, at 11:01, Richard Wordingham <richard.wording...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> Of course, if U+25A1 WHITE SQUARE is the outline of a square, it then seems
> odd that a valid presentation form should be just a spacing glyph, as seems
> to be preferred for chess boards!  I suppose this could be considered an edge
> case :-)

Using SP or NBSP would not be a good idea. Spaces separate things and have
complex properties. The light and dark squares on a chessboard are squares, not
one square and one nirvāṇic emptiness. Yes, the VS applied to WHITE SQUARE
makes it em-square sized and removes the outline, but that’s a specific glyph
for a specific purpose.

Michael Everson