I have a requirement to be able to populate standardized documents with dynamic data.   It amounts to customized boiler plate with some fields plugged in and some table data that has been analyzed within a Unicon program.  Ultimately, I want to produce nicely formatted acrobat files.  I also need to glue other data such as other acrobat files into the final product.

I'm not stuck on MS Office, and would be open to other solutions such as OpenOffice or something else.

I've begun looking into several approaches like using OLE automation, mangling template files of various formats, relative links, etc.  Before I start detailed investigation and reinventing a wheel, has anyone had any success with something like this before?

I should be able deal with the acrobat files easily enough but I really need to automatically fill in the document.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David