My thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.  I was hoping
for something along the lines of a beep(freq, duration) procedure.
Trying to ring the bell by writing ascii character doesn't seem to
work.  Using a .wav file might, but I'd like to generate the
contents programmatically[sic], since it's a simple sine wave.
Plus it looks like there's no way to write to the audio device
without patching Unicon's runtime code and I suspect such a
patch might well be OS-specific.

It's not a big enough deal to worry further about at this point
(it was a RosettaCode task, though someday it might be useful
to have access to the audio device (in and out)).

Thanks!
Steve

--
Steve Wampler -- swamp...@noao.edu