Just a couple of comments:

-- Old City certainly is an example of (1) high densities of population and activities; (2)mixtures of primary uses; (3) small-scale, pedestrian-friendly blocks and
streetscapes; and (4) the retention of old buildings mixed in with new. With Historic Designation, it now will be able to keep these qualities instead of dealing with future pressures to build more and bigger condos for the club crowd.

-- An important fact we all need to keep in mind is that only 18% of the properties in the proposed Spruce Hill Historic District are owned by single families. All other properties are owned/controlled by developers and landlords. That's less than one out of five. We can fight over the facts and nuances of period designation, paint colors, spindles, slate, etc. but except for zoning, historic designation, is the only other city program that has the ability to give such a minority some control over what happens to a neighborhood as unique as ours. Do we really believe that the majority of other 82% cares at all what happens to Spruce Hill outside of making money for themselves? This is a prime rental area and it always will be no matter what their buildings look like. They don't want anyone, not just you and me, telling them what to do.

Who do you all think is keeping this battle going for so long? THE 82%!! Whatever happened to Ms. Blackwell's public meetings last month to open this up to democracy????? You think maybe someone other than you and me is calling the shots here and we're all just flogging ourselves, much to their delight?

Here's something to ponder -- a local handyman (who shall remain nameless at his request, for fear of retribution) told me about a year ago that when he asked a local landlord why he was putting metal siding on his facades covering up the original siding and some victorian detail instead of painting, replied, "What do I care, I won't be here in ten years!"

Jim Lilly