From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
Friday, September 10, 2004 5:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [UC] Rethinking Outdoor Security Lighting

In a message dated 9/10/2004 5:43:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

turn-of-the-century
pole style lights

Gas lamps would be even better. And we could either give the UCD Yellowjackets the job of lighting them in the evening and extinguishing them in the morning. Or, preferably, we could hire new people. Either way, we could teach them to sing "The Old Lamp Lighter" as they went busily on their way in what every day is becoming more of a historic simulacrum of the hoop-and-bustle era city all communitarily-correct citizens cherish so dearly.

Always at your service and ready for a dialog,

Al Krigman

For those whose own historical heritages don't go back that far and who therefore haven't a clue as to what I mean by all of this...

The Old Lamp Lighter

(by Charles Tobias & Nat Simon -- 1946, more than 50 years old, and therefore eligible to be historically homologated in our fair city, so don't try changing it [Ross, this means you] without the permission of the PHC -- The Philadelphia Harmony Commission)

  He made the night a little brighter
  where ever he would go
  the old lamp-lighter of long, long ago

  His snowy hair was so much whiter
  beneath the candle glow
  the old lamp-lighter of long, long ago

  You'd hear the patter of his feet
  as he came toddling down the street
  his smile would hide a lonely heart you see

  If there were sweethearts in the park
  he'd pass a lamp and leave it dark
  remembering the days that used to be

  For he recalls when dreams were new