Gutmann plans to foster community prosperity

By Cynthia Yeung
September 15, 2004

The streets of Philadelphia aren't exactly reminiscent of Princeton University's leafy suburbs, but Penn President Amy Gutmann has begun to make herself at home in the city, establishing a reputation as an emerging leader with a sense of ethics.

Gutmann shows no signs of procrastination in her role as president of the city's largest private employer. In her first few months, she has already met with many local leaders, including Mayor John Street, Commerce Director Stephanie Naidoff, City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell, Managing Director Phil Goldsmith and School District Chief Executive Officer Paul Vallas.

"The question is, who haven't I met?" Gutmann said, underscoring the importance of productive relationships with the community. "They know how committed I am to ... moving forward Penn's agenda with the community agenda in a win-win situation, [with] a win-win perspective."

Nonetheless, Gutmann is quick to note that her meetings with local leaders and members of the clergy are interspersed with interaction with students and other members of the University community.

Moreover, her interest in the city extends beyond the political and commercial spheres. She is particularly interested in championing student involvement in the neighborhood.

"I'm interested in going to the [Penn Alexander] School and ... encouraging our students to get involved in community enterprises that range from volunteer work to educational work, which actually is part of your education," Gutmann said.

Gutmann has found a comfortable niche in service-based learning that has facilitated her transition to the city.

"I, from my whole orientation to higher education, am someone who really believes that higher education has to contribute to the larger society," Gutmann said. "The larger society begins with your own community and then radiates outward.

"I've also been very welcome here, so it has been a great part of coming here," she added. "It has actually made me feel at home faster than if Penn were a more isolated place."

Gutmann's academic background in ethics and democracy is hailed by some experts as a blessing for a city tainted with corruption.

"President Gutmann's presence in Philadelphia is very good fortune for local politicians, because the city's pre-eminent challenge is dealing with ethics, corruption and the fundamental sense of mission," said Mark Hughes, a distinguished senior scholar with the Robert A. Fox Leadership Program. "Her work on ethics [makes her] a perfect tutor for some of the challenges facing Philadelphia."

"For a hundred years, Philadelphia has been famously diagnosed by [prominent muckraker and author of The Shame of the Cities] Lincoln Steffens as "corrupt and contented,'" Hughes said. "It's very difficult to change things in our local political culture. We need someone who can remind Philadelphia politicians and their constituents that there are higher standards possible than just the silence of consent."

And Philadelphia's politicians seem to be welcoming Gutmann with open arms as well.

"We believe that [former Penn President] Judith Rodin was great, and that we will take the next step and go to the next level in terms of the interaction between the University and the community," said Blackwell, who represents the district that surrounds Penn.

"We're really, really encouraged [that] we have someone whose ... background indicates that [her] level of political interaction and working with communities is one that [cannot] be equaled," Blackwell added. "All who know her speak well of her."

Naidoff is another city leader excited about Gutmann's potential.

"I am thrilled about this wonderful appointment and what it means for the future of this great University, as well as our entire community," said Naidoff, who is a Penn Law School graduate. "Amy will have a profound impact."

Describing Gutmann as an "impressive woman" who clearly understands Penn's "critical role in the life of Philadelphia," Naidoff was unequivocal in her praise.

"From my conversation with her, I know she is very capable and extremely well suited for the challenge of shaping policies and the great young minds of Penn students, not to mention business leaders, scholars and citizens throughout the Delaware Valley," Naidoff said.