In a message dated 11/5/2004 12:04:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Probably the best single thing each of us needs to do, for the good of
America, is to find someone who voted the other way, and really try to
understand *why* they voted the way they did.
Great thought.

I'll (sort-of) start. I didn't like either major party candidate very much, and didn't like the minor party bozos either. Kerry and Bush each had things that seemed objectionable, as did their running mates. So I had to prioritize, and go for the team which seemed best for what I considered most important, accepting the rest as the washwater not thrown out because we were worried about the baby slipping away with it.

When all was said and done, two issues were tied in my mind as at the top of the list. Iraq and the fact that the 2004-2008 president will get to nominate as many as four Supreme Court justices. While I believe that Iraq was a terrible mistake, we're there and both candidates seems to have roughly the same ideas about what we have to do now. So that left the Supreme Court. Here, it boiled down to the question of an interpretive or an activist court.

I won't say which way I leaned, although most people on this list will have it figured correctly.

(Third on the list, by the way, was domestic security. This was also a tie -- in that I disagree with those parts of the Patriot Act that take away people's constitutional protections, but was concerned that a Kerry administration would leave us too vulnerable.)

Al Krigman
(Left of Ivan Groznyj)