----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [UC] The Triumph of Moral Values -- Everyman's America

In a message dated 11/5/2004 10:20:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Could you please dumb it down for non-annointed folks like myself?  What are
you trying to say in that paragraph?  What is your position?
It's my belief that prejudices against single-sex relationships, per se, have greatly diminished over the past few decades and are continuing to decline. It's also my belief that the prevailing sentiment in this country is that marriage has a traditional heritage involving a man and a woman, with hosts of ramifications and lots of complexities -- not the least of which being the hazy boundary between church and state. The reconciliation of these two factors (the decline in prejudices and the prevailing sentiment), which are not necessarily in opposition to one another, can come without redefining marriage. Surely, there are other ways to provide the key benefits to single-sex couples that presently accrue to traditional couples, when such benefits encourage and reward behaviors in some comparable manner.

Al Krigman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "civil unions" for single-sex couples give them the same benefits as marriage only in the state where they live. Benefits the federal government gives to married heterosexual couples -- federal tax exemptions, etc. -- don't apply. This is why the human rights groups are pushing for single-sex marriages.

What I can't understand is why conservatives, men in particular, feel so threatened by the concept of single-sex marriage.

Marianne Das