Tony-

I respectfully (and publicly) I disagree. Though I have not heard the full details of what happened at the meeting last night, I feel you are doing your best to quash the dog park people with parliamentary tactics.

Sincerely,

Frank Winkler

Anthony West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Frank,

Actually, the recently elected class of FoCP board members includes 2 people
whose views on dog leashing are unknown, 2 people who are known leash
advocates, 1 who is an off-leash advocate and 1 who began as an off-leash
advocate but became a dog-park supporter after working on the Dog Committee.
I am always particularly impressed by people who show a capacity to (a)
listen to other people and (b) modify their views as a result. In
considering people who might make good volunteer board members, I look for
people who have a track record of working cooperatively with other people
and accomplishing things by their labors. That's what I expect this board to
do. I expect it to strive to be representative of the community as a whole.

FoCP can only work by reflecting the community of park users as it is. It
cannot serve as! a tool for one user group to score points against another.
Off-leash dog owners have a right to belong to FoCP and a right to ask that
it consider their needs and concerns, the same right that leash enthusiasts
have. In the long (dog or no dog) run, I am stuck with the same community
that you are; I cannot "stuff" or "pack" my neighbors. Declaring that your
neighbors are illegal may make you feel better but it doesn't make them go
away, or do anything else for that matter, most of the time.

The Dog Committee did not recommend a law-enforcement approach to conflicts
over Bowl usage because it doubted that we (or anybody) can actually get
regular enforcement at this time; it is low-priority work for police
officers. That was the judgement of leash advocates as well as off-leash
advocates. It is not a good place to invest our volunteer efforts. We'll
work on other approaches that stand a better chance of success.

-- Tony