BGAndersen wrote:

I thought the neighborhood had evolved enough that ugly iron bars were no longer necessary ...

Really?  I'm trying to think of any neighborhood where bars aren't necessary, ast least as a deterrant.  They are in Center City, they are in South Philly, they are just about everywhere.

There weren't bars on all the windows of the first floor of this house when we moved in.  Bars were put up over all the windows after someone cut the screen and tried climbing into the dining room in the middle of the night.

Then bars were put on the front door after someone tried to attack my roommate, punching through the thick beveled glass on the door as she was standing inside the entryway.

Bars are an unfortunate necessity of life in just about any urban area, or even not-so-urban.   They're much more effective/efficient than an alarm system, IMHO.

Wendy