In a message dated 1/24/2005 4:45:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I have never had a good experience dealing with Mid-Atlantic AAA
--> Alternate towing reimbursement <--

Naturally, on days like today, there's going to be a wait for AAA or anyone else. Nobody can afford to gear up for the major snowstorm load, because nobody would pay what they'd have to charge. It's the difference between what major electricity users pay for "consumption" and for "demand."

That being said, AAA in Philadelphia is not very good. I had a bad voltage regulator, which gave me a battery that died slowly on the road. The car quit on the downramp of the Passyunk exit of the Expressway, so I was at the corner of 20-something street and Passyunk waiting for a tow truck. First they sent someone to give me a jump start, even though on the phone we decided that wouldn't do (I'd get started then die again in the mile it would take to get home). Then, two hours later, they still hadn't shown. And Lightning was getting antsy.

An independent tow person rolled by and asked me if I wanted a tow. It would be $75. First I said "no." Then he said AAA would reimburse the charge if I'd been waiting over (as I recall -- it may have been more) an hour. I called AAA to verify and sure enough it was true. So I did it. Next day I called AAA and asked about the reimbursement. I could have gone to their office in CC with the towing receipt and gotten it the money and there. Instead, I mailed the original of the receipt to some address with a brief explanation. And in about three weeks, I got a check for the whole amount. No fuss, no muss, no more bother than I'd already had.

Something they must have forgotten to mention in their literature or on the phone the third time I called to report that the tow truck still hadn't shown up.

Anyway, I'm sticking with AAA as bad as they are. One 800-number to call no matter where you are. What would you do if you got stuck in the middle of nowhere at 2:00 am and had to figure out who to call? One possible alternative I never really bothered to investigate. My auto insurer (GEICO) has a towing/roadside emergency option. Something like that might work. Although AAA is good if I'm in someone else's car, and I don't know whether GEICO covers me or just the insured vehicle.

Always at your service and ready for a dialog (without a fight in the parking lot -- unless it's my lot and you're blocking it)

Al Krigman