Today's DP included a story about a Penn Board of Trustees meeting from which the following is excerpted:
The trustees will also discuss the conversion of a University-owned office building at 42nd and Pine streets into condominiums. Construction for the project -- which will be aimed at accommodating small families -- will begin in the spring.
I assume they're referring to the sprawling building on the northwest corner.

Personally, I don't object to this conversion in principle -- it may well be a good use for the property and an asset to the neighborhood; and I don't have "standing" anyway because I'm far enough away from it to not be "detrimentally harmed" by this usage.

However, the Spruce Hill Community Association, whose zoning committee seems to oppose any conversions to multi-family use and/or any projects that may increase the population density, appears to have been mute on this project. If so (and if not, please correct me), could it be that they are currying favor with that 800-lb gorilla? Again.

If anybody from SHCA is still on this list (Matt?), can we hear the organization's position?

Al Krigman
(Left of Ivan Groznyj)