MessageI shall testify to that, in a very personal way.

In 1981, Penny was newly elected President of Friends of Clark Park and I was
newly selected Coordinator of the Clark Park Music Festival. For four months
that year, she was my worst enemy. FoCP at that time was out to expel all loud
noises from the park and Penny, who lived on the 4300 block of Baltimore Ave.,
represented her constituents with remorseless vigilance as I sought in vain for
a middle ground that could preserve neighborhood harmony.

Yet the Festival survived; the neighbors survived; and the park survived. Time
shows how life changes, and what endures.

With experience and reflection, her views modulated and grew in subtlety and
depth. She became a careful, behind-the-scenes advocate for neighborhood
harmony over many years, even as I retreated to my private life. Her quiet work
on some of Spruce Hill Community Ass'n's most difficult issues (and it had to
be quiet) was a force for inclusiveness and sanity.

This spring, as she was coping with terminal cancer, Penny asked me that a tree
which had been planted in Clark Park in honor of her parents and later died, be
replaced.

It will be replaced.

-- Tony West