Here we go again (maybe UCD won't meddle in this one,  although "the
project's planned developer" is on the infamous NID Steering  Committee.)

Article from the DP followed by a comment by your  humble and obedient servant

Al Krigman
Market St. liquor store may move

Community  leaders in talks to move store on 41st and Market to 43rd and
Walnut

Madeleine Kronovet
(http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=0d0a9e30-be42-4f99-947e-b5224b615bd9)

Talks between the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board and community  leaders to
move the Wine and Spirits store, located near the intersection of  41st and
Market streets, are ongoing, according to officials familiar with the
negotiations.

The PLCB, which regulates all liquor sales in the  Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania, is looking to lease the retail space of the  already-vacated Rite
Aid
located at 4237 Walnut St., said Dan DeRitis, owner of  Apartments at Penn, the
project's planned developer.

Spruce Hill  Community Association Director Barry Grossbach confirmed that
the community is  discussing the move with the PLCB but cautioned that the
talks
are only in their  preliminary stages.

Zoning has yet to be approved and will be discussed  at Spruce Hill's
upcoming community meeting on Feb. 28, Grossbach  said.

PLCB officials would not comment on the project but said that  details would
be announced later this week.

According to DeRitis, the  PLCB is "looking to find more refined, high-end
wines and to get out of the  selling of low-end wines and pints." They want it
to be a "wine and spirits  shop, not a liquor store."

The new Wine and Spirits store will also have  parking, DeRitis said.

"We're looking to get out of the image that has  been created on [41st] and
Market," he said.

Community leaders have  repeatedly stressed the need for higher-quality
liquor stores in the area.

"Our neighborhood has suffered for it," DeRitis said. "We lose too many
residents that go to Center City; we're losing commerce to other parts of the
city. [People] go buy a bottle of wine or three, and maybe they'll do some
shopping there, too."

An improved Wine and Spirits store is already in  the works for the block of
4900 Baltimore Ave., near Cedar Park. It is expected  to open in late spring.

If the liquor store does complete its move, it  would be placed at the border
of Penn's patrol zone, which extends from 30th to  43rd streets and from
Baltimore Avenue to Market Street.

"Irrespective of  the location of the Pennsylvania state liquor store,
whether in its current  address … or at the prospective [location], the most
important safety and  security concerns revolve around the quality-of-life
issues
that arise in  proximity to state stores, such as panhandling, vagrancy and
loitering,"  Division of Public Safety spokeswoman Karima Zedan said.

College junior  Jake Kleinman said the prospect of a move may have its appeal
because of its  move away from an area that is perceived to be unsafe.

"I feel that for  those of us living off campus, it's convenient, but as
everyone knows, it's  obviously not in the greatest location in the world,"
Kleinman said of the  current store. "I have female friends who don't like
going
there after dark,  [and] 43rd and Walnut might feel a little safer."

-----------------------------------

Comment submitted to the DP by Alan  Krigman:

The proposed site is directly across Walnut  Street from a mosque. This
choice of location shows an astonishing insensitivity  to the sensibilities of
growing segment of the diverse community in University  City.

A few months back, a long-established Baptist church (Hickman  Temple)
opposed the zoning permits for a brewpub in what's known as "the  Firehouse"
diagonally across from its edifice on Baltimore Ave. The proposed  brewpub, at
least,
would be more a restaurant than a take-out beer supply shop  or a tavern --
the possible negative consequences of which were the points of  contention. But
a great deal of ill-will was generated by the whole project (it  went
through, by the way). A liquor store would have fewer saving graces with
respect to
the institution already in place and opposed to it.

I'd  obviously like to see the former Rite-Aid developed into something the
people in  the area find attractive. And someone will object no matter what it
is. But this  particular proposal seems beyond the pale, under the
circumstances.