In a message dated 2/26/2007 10:55:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

... an  application of zoning varient stuck on a wall
on Locust Street -- someone  wants to put an awning over their driveway
to keep their car from getting  wet. ... when I put an exterior light on my
garage, should I
have applied  for a zoning permit to add exterior electricity  or
something?

The awning is a structure and it may affect the ratio of covered land to
total land, which is part of the residential code; another similar tool  is
controlling setbacks.

What if the subject awning blocks the morning sun from the neighbors long
standing and award winning UC garden? Hypothetically, is it fair  to say the
property sold at a lower market price because it had inadequate  off-street
parking, and now the owner seeks to increase his property's  utilitarian and
market
value at the expense of a neighbor's property? Not to  mention the awning
totally changes the look of the block.

How about if the awning will be used to shelter a very large boat all
winner. Even UCD would find that visually offensive.

Ciao,

Craig
http://www.aol.com.