"Members of the mosque have voiced strong opposition to the move, both
because it is illegal to drink alcohol under Muslim law"

And this is where I have some serious problems with this.

By Catholic "law" I cannot eat meat on Fridays during Lent -- does that
mean that Abbraccio (and all the other grocery stores/restaurants)
within a certain number of blocks of SFDS should not be allowed to sell
meat on Friday?

We do not live under Muslim law.

If various parties in that area, including the leadership of the Mosque,
want to argue that moving the liquor store might have a negative effect
on the neighborhood, fine.  I'm certainly not thrilled about past the
drunk panhandlers when I go to the state store on Market Street.  I'm
not thrilled about the guys who ask me for money every time I go in to
the A plus at 45th and Baltimore.  If the State Store system is trying
to create a more "upscale" store, that should include a commitment to
deal aggressively with illegal behavior.

Basing neighborhood zoning decisions on the "laws" of the various
religions that happen to have a base in the area is a VERY slippery
slope.

Kathleen