In a message dated 4/6/07 5:39:39 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In other, more concise words, you were wrong and the stickers are indeed in
> West Philadelphia. There. That was easy, wasn't it? One simple sentence.
>

> Frank, I don't remember the exact location of all of the stickers, but I
remember that one was supposed to have been outside Abbraccio.  So,  if it was
on
the front side of Abbraccio, wouldn't it be correct to say that it was all of
the following?

- on Warrington Avenue
- in Cedar Park
- in University City
- in West/Southwest Philadelphia
- in Philadelphia
- in the Delaware Valley
- in southeastern Pennsylvania
- in Pennsylvania
- in the northeast section of the US
- in the US
- in North America

It all depends on who you are speaking to, what is their frame of reference,
and what identifier they would be familiar with.  If you are speaking to a
neighborhood resident, you can describe a place by its most detailed
description
- "on Warrington Avenue."  If you only said "in West Philadelphia," they would
respond, "WHERE in West Philadelphia?"  If you are in Scranton, they may or
may not have heard of West Philadelphia.  In Montana or Vermont, I think it
would be unlikely that they would know West Philadelphia; you'd probably have
say Philadelphia.  In London, you could probably still say "Philadelphia," or
you might have to drop down the list to Pennsylvania.  In a remote area of
India, you'll probably need to say the United States.

I was recently in Savannah, and when I was asked where I was from, I would
say, "Philadelphia, West Philadelphia, near the University of Pennsylvania."
Not that that's my favorite way to describe my neighborhood, but it was most
clear to the listener.  Another woman at the same B&B began her reply with
"Philadelphia" also, but when I, as a fellow Philadelphian, asked her "where in
Philadelphia?" she responded "Abington," which we all know isn't in
Philadelphia.
But the other people around our B&B breakfast table wouldn't have been able
to place her if she had said "Abington" to them.

This is such a silly thing to be arguing about.  There are many ways to
describe an area, and they overlap.

Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor