Tony, I think we all can relate to your statements.

The debate started with stickers and banners, the question is why were
they placed?

Neighbors Against McPenntrification made the same statements and points
a few years ago, recently, many listserv members have complained about
the
marketing of the area by UCD and the forces behind the UCD.

What are we really talking about?  The lack of stake in directing our
own community
is my guess. The larger resident base (mostly renters), local community
groups
(mostly home owners), have relinquished control over this section of
West Philadelphia
to a board of institutional representatives and their hand picked
bed-fellows.

The question is.just who are we today? Are we a university ghetto
entirely?
Are we "University City" .owned, directed and paid for by a university
near you?
How would we like our community to be perceived by the rest of the city
and beyond?

It is clearly time to take back the governing of our neighborhoods and
stop looking to
the local universities to tell us when, why, and how to market or
identify where we live.

The stickers represent a backlash against the oppression being felt by
residents who
feel disenfranchised by all the Left of Center, University City, NID,
HD, M..O..U..S..E!

The reality?  There is a significant resident base here having no
connection to the universities
and would prefer not being treated like second-class citizens because
they are not affiliated.
I believe the stickers represent people saying..give us the right to
choose, give us something
we can ALL identify with, allow us to participate in the development and
marketing of our own
neighborhoods. So for many reasons, calling our combined communities
"West Philadelphia"
felt better to them.

I think we have an opportunity now, given all we know today, to design
our future in a better
way by examining our current community organizing and branding. We
should consider the
re-branding our collective neighborhoods and being more involved as
residents in the overall
marketing of our community.