From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 8:25 AM
To: UnivCity@list.purple.com
Subject: [UC] Public Record article & Community Associations

Something interesting I found in the Public Record article about Special
Services Districts. Here are a few quotes showing the element to which I
refer (emphasis added):

"divided neighbors and left community groups in the middle."

"These services are highly valued by dozens of community groups that
regularly tap them to address local needs"

"regularly attended by activists from three dozen West Philadelphia groups
and agencies"

"In the middle are most community organizations"

... and yet ...

"They derive their leadership and their sense of mission primarily from
local business communities"

The point that emerges from these quotes, which are central to the article
and -- I believe -- to the issue involves the primacy of "community groups"
as opposed to the actual stakeholders in the community. In this article, the
stakeholders being businesses of some kind mainly because most of the
special services districts in Philadelphia (although not elsewhere in the
state or the country) are focused on business issues. And UCD's proposal
tried to use this approach, too. By extension, this would apply to residents
and other stakeholders in general in a more broad-based NID.

This presupposes an intimate connection between the people in an area and
the local "community group." A connection that I don't believe exists. For a
lot of reasons... including the exclusionary attitudes that many "community
groups" exhibit, and a misinterpretation among many "activists" who cast
themselves as "community leaders" about what the essence of an urban/urbane
lifestyle is.

Al Krigman
Slightly to the right of Jane Jacobs

  _____