I think it's worth remembering that making jokes -- successful or otherwise,
tasteful or not -- about painful, unpleasant, disgusting, and distressing
situations is a normal human response to those very
situations. The famine in Ethiopia, the Challenger disaster, the schoolhouse
massacre in Lancaster county -- just to name a few. All of them were subjects
of humor not long after they occurred.

And if you do the research and go look at the material in Joe Miller's Joke
Book (1738), or the stories told by Chaucer's travelers to Canterbury, or those
from Boccaccio's "Decameron", what'll you find? They're making jokes about
equally painful, albeit more personal, situations like unfaithful spouses.

It's a coping mechanism, a way of deflecting the pain and stress and horror
of events that are outside one's control...and also a way of saying to the
uncaring universe that permits such things to happen, "Fuck you! Despite this,
will survive!"

The human race has been doing it for centuries, and is unlikely to stop now.

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.