In a message dated 6/20/2007 10:45:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

my  husband and I found a stray [cat] who had what we thought was a broken
leg...  his leg had to be amputated.  ... they are hoping to place him in a
permanent home once he recovers.

Can you imagine the howling indignation in this online community if  someone
thinking he or she was being cute joked about stomping  the cat to death to
put him out of his misery?

But some homeless 28-year old human being dying this way on the roof of a
vacant apartment building in our tolerant, sophisticated neighborhood?

Not only is the indignation almost non-existent, but some of the offenders
feel it incumbent on themselves to defend their unconscionable attempts at
being  oh-so-clever and -- if they're not honorable enough to apologize for
their
indiscretion -- don't even have the decency or sense to drop it.

Jiminy Cricket, where are you now that Pinoccio really needs you?

Al Krigman