I must correct this proposition, which cannot be entirely true as it stands.

Anyone who shows up at a First Thursday meeting will meet representatives from
three dozen agencies and associations that provide all sorts of services to all
sorts of West Philadelphians. That's not "a few local groups." Penn tries to
funnel a broad spectrum of resources to all these groups, whose issues range
from public safety, health, education and social services to culture and
neighborhood planning ... they are far too diverse to pigeonhole.

These groups are eager to partner with Penn; that is, they are always hopeful
the largest economic and professional engine in their part of town can
contribute something constructive to their communities. But it is ludicrous to
describe them as "coopted." If they were, indeed, coopted, why did they, by and
large, offer Penn so little support at the last First Thursday meeting over the
Fenton issue?

It is normal for business partners to display some courtesy to each other when
they are engaged in a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship, even if
there are divergences of opinion at times. For reasons like these, senior KRF
Apt. managers refrain from spray-painting comments like "Yuppie JAP Snob!" on
their Penn-affiliated tenants' windows, even after acrimonious disputes over
rental service. That doesn't mean KRF has been "coopted" by Penn; it is simply
trying to be courteous and productive. Permit, then, other community
institutions to relate to Penn with equal professionalism.

It would be far more helpful, in my opinion, if critics of a particular
community group's relationship with Penn would focus on that particular group
and its particular inadequacies. If it is doing something wrong with Penn,
spell out for all of us exactly what is wrong with what that group is doing. In
other words: name names and cite facts. Ther may be a couple of "local groups"
that have been unhealthily "coopted" by Penn. I don't work closely with any
group that has been so coopted, but I'm willing to believe they exist. Which
are they, and what shows they were coopted, i.e., persuaded to do something
most people around here don't like, simply because Penn liked it?

-- Tony West
  And the reason why transparency and participation should be the modus
operandi is that Penn keeps touting its "partnership with the community" as if
we're all in it together. The unpleasant reality is that Penn does what it
pleases -- and co-opts a few local groups so it can make believe it has a
partnership going.

  Always at your service & ready for a dialog,
  Al Krigman