That's all right, Mario. Glenn and Ray aren't newspersons either. But everybody is entitled to express himself.

For those of you who are curious about how news stories like this one are built, I'll toss out a few notes.

At the meeting I covered, Councilwoman Blackwell spoke voluminously for at least 40 min. It is amusing to read an amateur who has convinced himself he has perfect recall of every word she uttered, to the exact syllable, so much so that he can testify what words *weren't *said. No working reporter would make that claim, working off notes alone. His editor would bust him if he did.

I cover the Councilwoman regularly (just got off a job with her in Malcolm X Park one hour ago, in fact). If I misquote her banefully, I can guarantee I'll hear from her directly in my office the next day! My employer couldn't care less what the peanut gallery says.

A news writer's primary job is to write: to boil down the gist of events in his own language, accurately and honestly. He should derive his input from other people's thoughts, not his own wishes ... to a point. But when a writer knows his beat pretty well (i.e., he has listened to hundreds or thousands of other people's information on it), he is paid to use his own judgement to summarize a situation. In other words, no, I don't have to write: "'The sun rises in the east,' a wall plaque in the Franklin Institute's astronomy exhibit alleged." I can report it as an unattributed fact (not personal opinion), because I know the sun that well. It does rise in the east, Ray.

The article was inspired by the incident of the First Thursday meeting, but I did not limit my research to fact-gathering at that meeting. It is not important whether the writer learned something at that meeting or at another time, if it tells the story rightly. The story was the conflict between UCD and Blackwell, which was not limited to that meeting.

News writers use press releases regularly, especially when they want to make sure they get the official text of a statement into the record. PR is written in large part to aid them in that mission.

News writers always leave stuff out. Ours is a commercial artform and art is always about what you cut out, and why.

-- Tony West