In a message dated 7/28/2007 11:04:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I'm  going to unsubscribe from univcity and hope to see some of you on the
other  side where I hope to be able to provide a less antagonistic atmosphere
for  neighborhood communication.

In her book, "Why Deliberative Democracy," Dr Gutmann states,  "Deliberation
cannot make incompatible values compatible, but it can help  participants
recognize the moral merit in their opponents' claims when those  claims have
merit."

It's true that the "deliberation" on this listserv has not gone as far as
might be desired to "help participants recognize the moral merit in their
opponents' claims" -- perhaps because so few of us (and I do mean "us")are
willing
to acknowledge that our opponents' claims could possibly have any  merit.

But starting another listserv, moderated no less, doesn't seem to me to be
the best way to proceed. Personally, I prefer and make liberal use of the
"delete" key -- figuring I can always go back to the archives or depend on
someone who feels inclined to "quote" voluminous passages from earlier messages
 if
there's something I later wonder whether I missed.

Always at  your service & ready for a dialog -- or an argument as the case
may  be,
Al Krigman