Laserbeam:

Can you pull up something from the DP archives for us? I don't seem to be
able to access it and you apparently have a better filing system than I  do.

In the DP of Feb 17 2006, in an article about the Radian -- which  is now
being built at 40th & Walnut -- they quoted Penn's then-VP Omar  Blaik as
saying
"the competition provided by the University-owned housing will  help knock
down the high rents that students often pay for off-campus  living."

Of course, I made fun of this absurd statement and the usual suspects
accused me of the usual accusations.

Today's DP vindicates my commentary with the article below
(_http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/media/storage/paper882/news/2007/10/25/News/Radian.Appe
al.To.Be.Eclipsed.By.Rent.Costs-3056497.shtml_
(http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/media/storage/paper882/news/2007/10/25/News/Radian.Appeal.To.Be.Ecli
psed.By.Rent.Costs-3056497.shtml)  if  you want to read it in the original).

I'd like to get the whole Feb 17 article as so I can add it to the NONID
website along with the current item. I'm also thinking about tossing it in
their
faces at next week's First Thursday Dog and Pony Show and would like to have
the  actual two articles as a handout.

Ultimately  always (well, almost always) right about Penn's monomaniacal
hegemony in the  'hood
Al Krigman --

____________________________________

____________________________________

Radian appeal to be eclipsed by rent  costs?

By: Cecily Wu

Last fall, College senior Jesse Benton was searching for housing. He
realized he had two options: save money by living further away from campus, or
splurge for a spacious apartment closer to school.

Benton, like many  other Penn students, decided the possible dent in his
wallet was more important  than added luxury, and he chose to live in an
apartment
near 42nd and Chestnut  streets.

His rent? A measly $400 a month.

Cheap housing like  Benton's won't be found at the new Radian Apartments,
located on the 3900 block  of Walnut Street, which announced last week that its
starting monthly rents for  one-to-four bedroom apartments would range from
$1,025 (4BR) to $1,350 (1BR) per  person.

And while real-estate experts say Radian shouldn't have any  problems filling
its 150 units, the new amenity-filled complex - with a fitness  center, WiFi,
a game room and a private study room - likely won't be a housing  option for
low-income undergraduates.

The Radian will instead serve as an  option for students who want to spend
more for the extra perks the building  offers, said Rich Lauletta, vice
president of sales with the Philadelphia  Apartment Company.

Urban Studies professor Sidney Wong and Claude Boni,  owner of Claude Boni
Real Estate in Philadelphia, both added that the Radian may  not be targeting
the entire Penn population.

"Maybe they're looking for  the top 50 percent [in income], not the bottom
50," Boni said.

University  officials have long hailed the construction of Radian as a center
of its plan to  help move students east of 40th Street and increase the
number of homeowners in  West Philadelphia. But many students say that Radian
simply won't be a real  option for those concerned about costs.

"There's no chance" I would live  there, said College junior Dave Farber. "I
pay $670 for something with a bunch  of friends."

College sophomore Johan Tatoy agreed, saying that "a lot of  lower-income
students wouldn't choose to spend more than they have  to."

Arthur Bye, co-owner of local realtor Urban and Bye Real Estates,  said that
while issues like rising construction costs and market competition  likely
account for the high price, the lease that the University offered the
developer
also likely had an impact on the rent.

"Penn is not going to  lease it without making a good amount of money, and
the developer has to factor  it in as one of his expenses," he said.

Penn Executive Director of Real  Estate Ed Datz wrote in an e-mail that
"every consideration was examined to  minimize the potential cost to students."

Datz added that the rent  proposed by the developer, University Partners, was
evaluated, though he did not  say if the rent was the lowest being offered
out of the five developers  considered at the time.

The new apartments, combined with the  recently-built Hub, located at 40th
and Chestnut streets, and the future  construction of a new college house on
Hill Field, will also ultimately meet the  goal of adding about 1,000 new beds
for students, Datz said.

Officials  have also recently implemented the Neighborhood Development and
Preservation  Fund, where the University purchases West Philadelphia homes and
offers them at  market-level rates.

That initiative has largely been used by graduate  students, however, and
Facilities spokesman Tony Sorrentino said that no new  projects are in the
works
to provide more affordable housing for  undergraduates.

Still, Radian officials said that over 700 people have  already inquired
about room availability through the company's Web site. Student  interest will
likely continue to remain high, especially for those who don't  want to live in
the high rises - which range from about $790 to about $1,135 per  month - but
want to stay close to campus.

"If it's convenient to classes,  I would definitely consider it," Wharton
freshman Ruinan Wang said.