In a message dated 11/11/07 8:23:35 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> ....Critics of this proposal must acquaint
> themselves with these plans before they launch into the business of
> finding fault with them.....

Oh, Tony, what a novel idea!   Has this ever happened, in the history of
listserv crankiness?

For those who say they didn't have the opportunity to learn more, look at
what happened when Tom Lussenhop offered to explain his plans to Karen Allen
over
a cup of coffee!   She wrote:  <<I told him no, and to never write to me
again.  For the record, I don't drink coffee, I don't like him, and I
definitely
don't discuss community business in back rooms. >>

What will that response teach developers about the usefulness of offering to
give out the details of their plans?

And, what happens when people with one opinion try earnestly to engage in a
listserv conversation with people of a different opinion?   When Karen
complained that no one was willing to respond to the questions she'd raised, I
offered
to enter into a discussion, cautioning that <<...if you truly want to hear
another viewpoint, I'll be happy to share mine.  This isn't personal - it's
only

In my reply to her points, writing about the community association zoning
process which Karen and I both understand pretty well since we sit on a zoning
committee, I wrote <<...community zoning committees generally respect the
wishes
of the nearby neighbors when taking positions on new development....At some
point, to have  the local community association impose its will on a site, in
absence of complaint from the neighbors, would seem inappropriate.  To have you
and me, as busybodies from the next neighborhood over, impose our will on the
project seems even more problematic.>>

Which Karen "spun," a few days later, to read <<... I knew I'd be attacked
for not living in Spruce Hill, like Melani Lamond's attack in her recent email
calling me a "busybody from the next neighborhood over".>>

Listserv writers tend to have already formed their opinions when they hear
WHO is involved in a plan.   As I wrote earlier, I don't think their support or
opposition has much to do with the merits of the proposal; it has more to do
with the identity of the players.   That's too bad.   We'd work better for the
good of the neighborhood if we could work for the greater good, rather than
fight because we aren't the best of friends.

- Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor
3529 Lancaster Ave.