  From: Frank<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: UnivCity@list.purple.com<mailto:UnivCity@list.purple.com>
  Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:11 AM
  Subject: [UC] Inky on Dock St.

  Through bruce McC and the SBC list:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/rick_nichols/20080106_Drafting_a_course_of_change.html<http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/rick_nichols/20080106_Drafting_a_course_of_change.html>.

  My response:

  "So it is hard to overstate the change in mood, in vibe, in the very dynamic
of Cedar Park occasioned by the opening in that firehouse of Certo's reimagined
Dock Street craft brewery and its modest menu of wood-fired pizzas, burgers and
salads. In the four months since it arrived (over the objection of a nearby
church and a smattering of anti-gentrification activists)"

  Hard, yes, but he managed to do it. Also: a "smattering?"

  I noticed the "anarchist's" comment that "at least it's not a Starbucks." I
found some interesting facts about Starbucks here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/books/review/O-Rourke-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/books/review/O-Rourke-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>.

  "Clark informs us that in 1989 there were 585 coffee houses in America. Now
there are more than 24,000. Fifty-seven percent of these are what Clark calls
“mom and pops.” “Paradoxically,” he writes, “the surest way to boost sales at
your mom-and-pop cafe may be to have a Starbucks move in next door.”"

  Frank

  PS. I recently found out that I'm allergic to gluten so sadly Dock Street
won't be on my list of places to eat.