I agree with you here, Karen, that we can challenge UCD, if we believe that they have undertaken the function of private trash violation snitch, and they fail in snitch consistency. We should also expect the same consistency from Glenn, but he has so far given us the impression that he seems to be particularly interested in complaining to UDC about Campus Apts. building violations, because their guy sits on the UCD Board. At least, he hasn't yet told us that he's complaining about other landlords, and other homeowners in a similar way. On the blocks around where I live, many people, and most of the landlords, put their trash and recyclables out a day early, not thinking that Monday or Tuesday was a holiday, and the pickup day will be Thursday. The landlords' employees generally put the trash out before 7PM in any case, because they don't schedule employees to work that late in the day.

On 20 Feb  2008, at 4:25 PM, KAREN ALLEN wrote:

UCD voluntarily took it upon itself up to start forwarding trash complaints to the City. Once it set itself up to do that, UCD created for itself a duty to follow through consistently. And if they don't carry out this voluntary act consistently, they can be challenged as to why they turn in some reports and not others. That was what Glenn was doing.

Before, UCD was forwarding trash complaints. Now they might do it if enough complain. So does that mean that they're paying someone to keep a tally of each complaint against each property, and when some magic number is reached, they will forward it along to the City, maybe? And if they're not keeping a tally, how will they know that more than one complaint came in?

Sounds like parsing of words to me: "you didn't read the fine print!". Seems like they've painted themselves into a corner and are now trying to back out it. If UCD is not going to forward every complaint consistently, they shouldn't do it at all.

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:38:11 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: univcity@list.purple.com
Subject: Re: [UC] Public report

Glenn and Karen,

I called Dexter Bryant today today to ask if anything had been done after Glenn's report about the alleged trash violation. He said that if, and here's the important word, enough people sent in a complaint about a certain resident or citizen's possible trash violation, then they might phone in to the Streets Dept. themselves to have a Streets Dept. employee come around and check. Even then, they can't assure that someone from the Streets Dept. will actually come by. Evidently, the fastest and most appropriate way for Glenn or anyone for that matter to get a response to a potential trash violation is to call the Streets Dept. directly and not even bother getting UCD involved.

Glenn's trying to make the argument that UCD violated a legal obligation, which they haven't. UCD's compiling of the addresses of possible trash collection violators is not a legally required action. If someone is derelict enough to commit a trash violation that bothers enough neighbors or community members, then UCD likes to help out by making sure that the Streets Dept. is sent word. They don't have to do it. While the argument that they're doing it selectively and not every time someone complains may be valid, it's also meaningless. UCD themselves can't deal with the trash violation and we have no right to force them to call the city government on our behalf every time one of us has a complaint. We're individually responsible for filing such a legal complaint.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, KAREN ALLEN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I am not making a faulty assumption. Please re-read what I wrote. I never said "UCD is legally responsible for citing trash violations" (copying and pasting your exact phraseology).

I wrote (copying and pasting again) "[i]f UCD compiles and forwards lists of addresses of trash offenders to the City, then UCD should have taken Glenn's information, and forwarded it on to the City". Nowhere in that did I say that UCD should have cited anyone.

However, if UCD has established a policy and a relationship with the City wherein it forwards information regarding trash violations, the violations that Glenn pointed out should have been collected and forwarded for the City to respond to. And if they did not do so in light of that policy, then why?