This whole project was doomed from the start, by the same type of thinking
that sent several past initiatives in this neighborhood into oblivion. Namely,
a  poorly conceived plan by people who greatly underestimated the resolve of
the  overwhelming majority of the people in the community to preserve what they
 believe is important about the quality of their lives here. In short, this
is  simply an inappropriate use the property in question. And, given the
number of hotel rooms already being planned with equal or better access to the
hospitals and the campus, it seems to be totally unnecessary anywhere in the
immediate area.

Tom Lussenhop has been blinded by his ambition in this case. So he's
continuing to send good money after bad in pursuing it. Some of it is his money
 or
that of the investors to whom he sold a bill of goods -- which is a pity but
maybe they'll come out as better human beings for having felt the loss in their
 wallets. But some of it is the money -- and the capital invested in the form
of  time and energy -- being spent by the people in the neighborhood to
oppose a bad  idea that will ultimately go nowhere. It's akin to a frivolous
lawsuit that the  defendant is certain to win but has to spend a lot of money
to go
through the  motions.

I know this will be a hard pill for Tom to swallow, and I'm truly sorry
about that. I don't wish him, or anybody else -- regardless of how much I might

disagree with them -- any harm. It may also be a tough lesson for people like
Ed  Datz and Esaul Sanchez of the Penn Real-Estate Dept. They seem to have
stuck  their necks out when Penn bought the property without having a clue what
they  were going to do with it, and decisions by people higher in the
administration  than they have opted not to invest the rest of what it takes to
restore
the  property and use it productively. But they'll come out better for it,
too, when  they realize that just because they represent the great University
of
Pennsylvania in real estate affairs, they do not possess any superior
judgement. And it doesn't do much for Sam Olshin's reputation, either. He's
been
doing what I assume as his best to make an impossible building "work." But
impossible is impossible. And, I submit that a truly competent architect would
have already told the client that there was no way to fit this square peg into
 round hole, and walked away from the job instead of continuing to run up the
 bill with no satisfactory end in the offing.

The parties who seem to be oblivious to what's happening  here are hurting
their own future prospects in this neighborhood by  continuing to press this
project. If Tom wants to do another project here, it  will be greeted with
great
skepticism by the people in the area because he's  acted so foolishly in this
one. And Penn will continue to expose it's so-called  "partnership with the
community" for the sham we all know it is, risking the  likelihood that
eventually the other institutions to whom they have been  bragging about "the
Penn
model" for an urban university will see through the  self-serving braggadocio.

So, Tom, I am asking you publicly -- more than asking, counseling for the
sake of your own future success in the area -- to drop this project before it
gets worse for you and everybody else. Admitting you were wrong and apologizing
 for the money you have caused people to waste and the anguish you put them
through would go a long way to building a favorable image for yourself.

Alan  Krigman
KRF Management
211 S 45th St, Phila PA 19104
215-349-6500, fax  215-349-6502