.....Opponents of the hotel also probably missed last week's citypaper Guest
Commentary on "doing nothing" in Philadelphia:

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2008/02/28/strait-talk
Strait Talk
What can we learn from Sicily and Tunisia?
by Nathaniel Popkin

Published: Feb 27, 2008

It's fitting that last year, the year we elected Michael Nutter as mayor,
Pantheon brought out the 50th anniversary edition of The Leopard by Giuseppe di
Lampedusa. Lampedusa's wise and tender novel — the story of the fading Sicilian
aristocracy — makes great use of the parched island. Sicilians appear as
recalcitrant as the soil itself. "Sleep," says the book's subject, Don
Fabrizio,
to a bureaucrat from the north, "my dear Chevalley, sleep, that is what
Sicilians want, and they will always hate anyone who tries to wake them, even
in
order to bring them the most wonderful of gifts."

Nutter, of course, has woken so many of us; now we're sitting up in bed
awaiting a trayful of goodies.

And yet all week I've heard the somnolent muttering of people who would
rather that nothing new happen in their neighborhoods. At 40th and Pine, some
Spruce Hill neighbors oppose a hotel that will result in the renovation of a
long-neglected Italianate mansion. In Society Hill, some are screaming about an
elegant hotel proposed for long-vacant New Market that would result in the
transformation of Headhouse Square from a parking lot into an inviting public
space.
In Norris Square, the civic association would watch significant architectural
landmarks fall apart rather than form partnerships with for-profit developers.
In East Falls and Roxborough, the specter of Manayunk has so frightened
community activists that they're opposed to securing basic amenities.

"In Sicily," says Don Fabrizio, "it doesn't matter whether things are done
well or done badly; the sin which we Sicilians never forgive is simply that of
'doing' at all."

Doing nothing is de facto community planning in Philadelphia. It didn't start
that way. In the 1960s neighborhood groups were empowered to promote their
own ideas. But what began with strong democratic credo has evolved in so many
cases into a rigid NIMBY "No!" As a result, according to Tom Lussenhop, who
teaches urban development at Princeton and who hopes to build a Hilton Homewood
Suites hotel near the busy trolley portal on 40th Street, "Nothing good has
been
built in some neighborhoods since the Great Depression."

By taking advantage of 40th's transit infrastructure and providing sidewalk
amenities, including a terraced outdoor café, Lussenhop wants Philadelphia to
function like the green, cosmopolitan place he knows it can be. Yet despite a
plan which includes guest parking with a Penn garage two blocks away, neighbors
have erected the familiar defense: the loss of parking. Indeed, across
Philadelphia the parking space is dug like a trench, the last hope to keep the
outsiders at bay.

Will the new mayor be able to overcome these ersatz barricades, while still
giving neighbors a strong self-governing voice? The solution may lie in his
ability to change the language of the conversation — much as Barack Obama is
doing — from fear to opportunity. Can Philadelphians be made to feel that
development might actually enrich their lives? To do so will require the
long-deferred
move from the Sicilian-style parochialism under which Italy is presently
suffering toward a dynamic urbanism.

It may be useful to hydrofoil our way across the Strait of Sicily to the
Northern African nation of Tunisia. Speaking in Philadelphia last week,
Tunisian
Ambassador H.E. Mohamed Nejib Hachana described his nation's historical
openness, liberal investment rules and moderation founded on centuries of
accommodation and adaptation to outsiders. "Let me just tell you that in
Tunisia," he
declared, "negotiating with outsiders is opportunity [to profit]. It's the
basis
of our civilization."

Nathaniel Popkin is a frequent Slant contributor.
 ______________________

We may get an update from the hotel's opponents about THIS week's citypaper,
though.   Stay tuned.

- Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor
3529 Lancaster Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
cell phone 215-356-7266
office phone 215-222-4800, ext. 113

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)