In a message dated 3/7/2008 1:05:10 A.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Yes
49%

No
44%

Unsure
6%

I wish I could remember more of my PENN  statistics class... but I think the
results below do not qualify as a  'win' for either side.  In fact I don't
think they even meet the test  for 'standard deviation'.  Someone with some
knowledge of statistics should  feel free to chime in here.
A "margin of error" is often cited in political and other public opinion
polls; this is a very loose statistical measure, but one that seems to have
stood the test of time in such matters.
It's the reciprocal of the square root of the sample size. In this case, the
number of respondents was 99, so the margin of error is 1/sqrt(99), which is
a  hair over 10%. On this basis, there's no statistical significance between
49%  and 44%.
I could give you the numbers for the questionnaires I posted -- but they
weren't meant to serve as polls (rather, to ascertain why those who thought one

way or another thought as they did). So the numbers who responded as
proponents  or opponents were never meant to have any meaning and it would be
as
dishonest  to use them that was as it would be were the DP to claim statistical
validity  for their poll. I don't see the DP doing this, by the way ... only
some
of the  people grasping at straws to counter the sentiment against the
proposal in the  neighborhood and questionable grounds the developers have for
their
application  for a zoning variance.

Always at  your service & ready for a dialog,
Al Krigman -- that ardent advocate for  truth, justice, and the Libertarian
Way