In a message dated 5/6/2008 8:56:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Metal recycling  businesses are now paying $0.14 a pound for scrap iron I
am told.   That is way up.  I have already seen a major increase in guys
coming  by my shop asking for scrap.  Perhaps that is where things are
going.  Add that to the already very high prices paid for recycled
copper and aluminum, many things metal may start disappearing.  (I
assume that is where the aluminum rails to the Grays Ferry Bridge are
disappearing to.)

As an avid recycler, it is sad to see it  go amok.

Louis Tannen

You can do something about it. The Pennsylvania House has passed bill  HB
1742 (see below) to curtail scrap metal theft. It is now up before the  senate.
Write, call, e-mail, etc your state senator to urge this body to pass  the
legislation as well.

Remember, you read it first here, on the  popu-list
,
Al Krigman

____________________________________

____________________________________

House  passes Pashinski scrap metal theft bill
HARRISBURG,  Feb. 6 – State Rep. Eddie Day Pashinski,  D-Luzerne, is pleased
that members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives  have passed his
bill which would develop a registry for scrap metal sellers and  also penalize
people who remove scrap metal from residential and construction  sites.
Pashinski introduced  the measure because the number of scrap metal thefts at
construction sites has  significantly risen in his legislative district and
across Pennsylvania.
“The theft of scrap  metal has reached epidemic proportions over the past
year,” Pashinski said.  “There have been House members who have stopped me in
the halls and on the  House floor and told me that increased incidents of scrap
metal thefts have  occurred in their legislative districts. Many legislators
from across the state  have co-sponsored my bill.”
The measure also  includes a provision that would punish people who sell
rented beer kegs to scrap  processors or recycling facilities instead of
returning
the kegs to beverage  distributors.
Pashinski said  violators would face a $2,500 fine for the first offense and
each subsequent  offense would be considered a third-degree misdemeanor.
Last November,  members of the House Commerce Committee held a public hearing
in the  Wilkes-Barre City Council chambers to hear testimony on the
legislation.
Pashinski’s  legislation (H.B. 1742) now will be sent to the Senate for
consideration.
###rrc/2008/
l:\print\releases\metal.121

CONTACT:  Roseann R. Cadau
House  Democratic Communications Office
Phone: 717-787-7895
Fax:  717-783-6839
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

favorites at AOL Food.