I can't speak for anyone else, but when I drive I try to stay off the sidewalks
whenever possible! (If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the
sidewalks!!!> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:59:25 -0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC: univcity@list.purple.com> Subject: Re: [UC]
University City traffic nightmares> > A violator is a violator. The most
egregious violators are cyclists & > drivers who ride on the sidewalks.> >
John> > KAREN ALLEN wrote:> > Hi, John, I hope by "violators" you include those
cyclists who ignore> > the rules of the road and run stop signs and red lights
and end up> > riding into the path of auto traffic, or ride against the flow
of> > traffic where drivers are not expecting anyone to come from> >
(especially dangerous to the cyclist if the driver is making a turn).> > > > >
> If I drove my car the way some individuals ride bikes, my driver's> > license
would be revoked. Karen> > > >> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:37:10 -0400> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> >> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC: UnivCity@list.purple.com>
Subject: Re: [UC]> >> University City traffic nightmares> > If you ride a bike
or are a> >> walker in University City, you might find > these changes
welcome;> >> at least I do. Increased traffic enforcement > against violators
is> >> certainly something that would benefit us all.> > I do often find> >>
myself wondering if it was truly an engineer who came up > with> >> many of
these traffic light systems; certainly, the lights can be >> >> timed to
expedite the flow of vehicular traffic through these >> >> intersections and
still afford cyclists and pedestrians safe and >> >> accessible thoroughfare.>
> Just my .02 cents...> > Regards,> >> >> John> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> >
Friends and Neighbors:> > > > The> >> following was in today's DN.> > > > It's
been suggested that lots> >> of us have items we might add to the list (the > >
horrible left> >> turn going north from University Ave/38th St onto > >> >>
Chester/Baltimore, coupled with the timing of the lights to> >> actually get
onto Chester or > > Baltimore at 39th Street comes> >> immediately to mind).> >
here, on the popu-list > > >> >> > > > ____________________________________> >
City traffic nightmares > > Philadelphia Daily News (9/29/08)> > >> >> > IWORK
at 37th and Walnut. If there is a hell for drivers, it must> >> be > >
University City with the constant construction, vast number> >> of pedestrians,
trucks, > > taxis, buses and double-parking. > >> >> Now, it seems, the city is
on a mission to make things worse by> >> adding more > > traffic lights, stop
signs and no-turn-on-red> >> signs. > > Some specific nightmare spots: > > 31st
and Spring> >> Garden. About a year ago, the city put up a no-turn-on-red > >>
>> sign. The effect: long lines of idling cars on 31st Street burning> >> up
$3.75 a > > gallon gasoline. > > Spring Garden Bridge at the Art> >> Museum. A
new light went up last month. > > Result? More cars> >> backed up on the
bridge. Everything seemed to move well before > >> >> the light. > > 34th at
Lancaster, at the 7-Eleven. Another new> >> light. Trucks continue to > > block
the right lane as they unload> >> their deliveries to the store. With the new >
> light, there is> >> effectively only one open lane at the light. Traffic
backs > > way> >> up 34th. > > And let's not forget all the bike lanes our last
mayor> >> was so fond of, > > turning four-lane roads into two lanes. Again,>
>> lots of idling, polluting cars. > > When is the city going to do> >>
something to improve traffic flow in University > > City? > >> >> Donald
Kaufmann, Philadelphia > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> >> **************Looking
for simple solutions to your real-life> >> financial > > challenges? Check out
WalletPop for the latest news> >> and information, tips and > > calculators.>
>> (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)> > > ---->> >> You are
receiving this because you are subscribed to the> list> >> named "UnivCity." To
unsubscribe or for archive information, see>> >>
<http://www.purple.com/list.html>.