From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; univcity@list.purple.com
Sent: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 4:37 pm
Subject: Re: [UC] My Favorite Obamas

I voted for Barack Obama. I am a hyper-liberal when it comes to politics. I
also
believe that despite his inexperience in national and international politcs, he
was the most honorable and intellectually curious of the candidates. After the
last eight years and with the trying times ahead, we need fresh ideas and an
intelligent and calm leader.

This said, the liberal cause is cheapened when we defend Obama with comments
from [EMAIL PROTECTED] like:

 "In my opinion, if anyone cannot see the human greatness
>   within Barack Obama, it's because they do not
>   want to see it. They "select" not to for a number of
>   reasons. Policies and! platforms aside, the guy
>   resonates with a natural born leadership that you
>   can just feel."

This comment is not based on fact, but wishy washy Obama-love. These are the
comments for which conservatives rightly criticize liberals. "Human greatness,"
"Natural born leadership that you can just feel" -- please. Please do not treat
President-elect Obama like he a teen heartthrob that you dream of having dinner
with. He is a well-organized, decisive, calm, and intelligent person (as far as
we can tell from speeches and his relatively short record). He may indeed, and
surely hope, a great leader. His policies on the environment, economy, and
social justice are clearly well-reasoned and well-advised. However, when we
state that we can "just feel" his natural born leadership (and don't know how
you "feel" leadership anyway?), it does sound like we are mindless members of a
cul