The danger to longterm homeowners comes from any law that bases real estate
taxes on sale price or "value", because as Melani is surely aware, a lot of
factors determines "value". The "equalization between neighborhoods" that
Melani mentioned cannot be done if the standard being used is purchase price,
market value, or anything else based on money, because every neighborhood is
different. Using a few of her examples from her earlier post: 102 West Highland
Avenue, Chestnut Hill:2 story, semi-detached houselot size: 35' x 100'total sq
footage of lot 3500livable sq footage of house: 2090 7020 McCallum Street, West
Mount Airy2.5 story, semi-detached house with garagelot size 50' x 143"total sq
footage of lot: 7,190livable sq footage of house 2860 716 South Clifton Street,
Center City (11th and Fitzwater Sts)3 story row house with garagelot size 15' x
47'total sq footage of lot: 755livable sq footage of house 1149  1518 Naudain
Street, Center City (beteen Lombard and South off of 15th)3 story row houselot
size 16' x 40'total square footage of lot: 640livable square footage:1280
Obviously, the one constant in these examples is the price: $400,000. So did
the Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy homebuyers get a sweet deal? Did the Center
City buyers get ripped off? They all spent $400K, and yet that same $400,000
bought considerably more in West Mount Airy than it did in Center City. And if
any of those buyers tried to buy something in Villanova  for $400,000, they'd
probably be laughed at.   All of that is to say that "value" is subjective and
is prone to a lot of factors; fairness not being one of them. If it were, no
one would ask for and get $400K for a house in Center City that wouldn't make a
decent closet in West Mount Airy.  As far as Melani's example of different
rates for the city wage tax, I never said there should be different rates; I
said that the standard (the constant that is being used for making the
determination) should not be based on value. Is it fair for the person living
in the considerably smaller Naudain Street house to have to pay almost the same
tax as the  person living in the much larger McCallum and Highland ones?  But
because they paid the same price for the houses, similar taxes is considered
"fair". If the constant in my examples above were livable space and lot size,
"equalization between neighborhoods" could occur. Homeowners in Center City
would pay substantially less than the homeowners in Northwest Philadelphia. Yet
they would all be paying at the same predictable rate. And current homeowners
would not have to be put in the position of fearing neighborhood improvement
and worrying about losing their homes.

From: mlam...@aol.comdate: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:52:06 -0500Subject: Re: [UC]
Taxation and the librariesTo: kallena...@msn.com; univcity@list.purple.com;
briansi...@gmail.comin a message dated 1/5/09 12:18:43 AM, briansi...@gmail.com
writes:....how about this for a solution?....for _primary residences_, people's
_homes_... apply the new tax standard only to properties purchased after the
date the tax standards take effect. This way, current homeowners won't have to
worry or make radical readjustments to keep their homes. Their taxes remain as
they are. But if they sell, the new tax structure applies to the new
owners.----------------In a message dated 1/5/09 11:38:57 AM,