Hmm, interesting.  It is predictable, unless you already own the house, in
which case the change to a whole new system is totally unpredictable.  How are
homeowners with increased resulting taxes helped?

Under the current system, we know that:

   1.  Assessments are unequal across the city relative to market value.  It
appears that neighborhoods with large minority populations have had rates
closer to market value than white neighborhoods.  A uniform, market based
reassessment is one way to address this.

    2.  Owners can get stuck when market values jump up on them and their
income doesn't keep up.  They also get stuck when their income drops even if
their house is the same size, but that's hard to handle.  And what happens when
the record owner passes and the family wants to keep living there?

    3.  I seem to recall there are state constitutional requirements regarding
equal taxation, which obviously require amendment.

    4.  The idea of tying re-assessment to sales has lots of appeal, since it
restricts the cases in which homeowners are forced out by rising values they
can't afford.  But remember it can also jam people in the other direction when
values fall after you buy a house and you end up paying more than your
neighbor.

    5.  Determining tax based solely on size may or may not help the people
Karen seeks to
 help.  Someone would
 have to run a simulated city wide, revenue neutral re-assessment based on size
to see who gets screwed and who benefits.  It may be rich white condo dwellers
who get over, and people with big old houses on large lots in poor
neighborhoods that end up at tax sale, or not.

    Market value is objective and subject to determination even if debatable,
and has some intrinsic logic since the tax is related to the value of the asset
(not the equity, I know).  Imagine if we taxed cars on size instead of purchase
price,

My leaning is to set taxes based on regular, uniform citywide assessments, but
provide exemptions as Brian suggested that delay imposition of the increase
until a sale.  That'd require a constitutional amendment,  Phasing in an
increase over a short number of years would not I think help much since at the
end of the time, the owner would still be stuck.  But again, I wonder what the
numbers would look like if the system were implemented.

Paul