As far as this is concerned:
"the praxis-delivered principles for 40th street run counter to the proposed
hotel. principles like:  " values of the community " commerce and culture
reflecting the surrounding   neighborhoodThat's where our neighbors who feed at
the Penn trough come into play on behalf of Penn.  It would seem that few
people think (or, at least, will say out loud) that it seems odd that the most
strident and outspoken supporters of Penn Real Estate's hotel proposal just
happen to be mostly real estate agents and large property owners who rent to
Penn students. Nor does it seem to be odd that those self-same real estate
agents, property owners, and the hotel developer were the same people who all
somehow ended up being named to the steering committee which tried to get
Penn's UCD BID proposal passed into law. Now it's been revealed that a local
community association has had board members quit in disgust over its zoning
committee seemingly ignoring their members' loud and clear objections to the
hotel.

All of this is to say that "the community" can be hijacked by those with self
interests who are willing to throw the actual community under the Penn bus.
"Pay no attention to my blatant conflicts of interest, and to near-unanimous
opposition from everyone else. I am the Community, and I am here to rubberstamp
anything Penn wants!"