On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Frank <_fcarr...@pobox.com_
(mailto:fcarr...@pobox.com) > wrote:

I just passed and someone had thrown paint at their  beautiful new sign.
Sad.

In a message dated 6/3/2009 1:41:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dill...@dillernet.com writes:

I was  there this morning, it was specific vandalization, it said "fuck
gentrification" or words to that effect. I guess the squatters are feeling a
bit of pressure these days, like rats on a sinking ship. Really sad, I guess
 they don't keep up on area history to know that GS has been around a lot
longer than most of them......

Don't get me wrong, here. I strongly disapprove of vandalism and  other
acts of destruction as a form of protest. And I'm certainly sorry that  Roger
and the others who put a lot of sweat and money into setting up their new
cafe now have to spend more to fix up the sign.

Recognize, though, that a lot of people who make this  neighborhood their
home feel threatened by gentrification because it means  things like
displacement, rises in the cost of living, loss of the conveniences  they find
important, and disdain by people who think they're better than  everyone else.
Some may, in fact, be squatters. I'd venture to guess,  however, that many of
those who find gentrification threatening are  legitimate owners or renters
worried about making ends meet and maintaining  whatever quality of life
they happen to have.

To liken them to rats on a sinking ship reflects the anointed (you  didn't
think I dropped this adjective from my thesaurus, did you?) attitude that
justifies and reinforces their fears.

You read it  here, first, on the ever-popular Popu-List

Al  Krigman
**************Shop Inspiron, Studio and XPS Laptops at Dell.com
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222616459x1201464730/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.d
oubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215218145%3B37264238%3Bd)