Of course it makes sense, it works great as an analogy. Here, I'll hold your
hand thru this one since you are having issues:

Rats fleeing a sinking ship is similar to squatters fleeing a neighborhood
without abandoned housing.....

I'm only about the squatters. If any homeowners are feeling threatened by
gentrification, well, ok. I hope they are not defacing someones private
property. And I was anointed once, by a priest.

-andy