Karen, Without checking the official sources, I'm going to say that Donovan
Leitch wrote the song, and that Dylan has enough of his own songs and
doesn't have to mooch any off of Donovan.  Donovan did at least two versions
of his own song: One strictly acoustic and owing a lot to
Dylan's style.  It might have been Donovan before he discovered his own
voice, but it is now the preferred version on greatest hits collections.
And the version that I first heard from his Greatest Hits (1969), was a
version with a much more echoing vibrato of Donovan's voice and the addition
of Jimmy Page, JP Jones and the LZ drummer, adding a much more heavy rock
sound a la the Hurdy Gurdy Man.  This is still my preferred version which is
not easy to find now.  It is much more dramatic and dynamic version
descending from  this ethereal longing  of his love poem to the crashing and
rousing crescendo that underscores his more visceral and earthy plea, "For
standing in your heart is where I want to be - and I long to be - Ah but I
may as well try and catch the wind."  Sounds like he's going to have a
better chance of catching her from this more earthly vantage point than in
his poetic musings.

The folky version lacks much of a dynamic, but has the integrity of being
pure monotonic (ha!) in comparisons.

Joe C.