In my original post, I sought to be as objective as possible so that readers
could draw their own conclusions. Since words are being put in my mouth, I'll
comment:

I found it odd that the UCNeighbors list, which Kyle created as a "civilized"
alternative to UC List, did not address the Campus Inn issue AT ALL.  There was
no "civilized" dialogue about the pros and cons of a ten-story hotel in a 3
story residential neighborhood; there was no dialogue AT ALL!  There were no
alternate-universe Karen Allens or Glenn Moyers or Melani Lamonds  politely
taking turns debating his or her point; IT WAS IGNORED, as if none of it was
happening.

"So I'd agree with you that UCNeighbors readers want controversy and conflict
to get somewhere, arrive at a point"

Please don't put words in my mouth; I never said that. That is your opinion,
not mine.  Plus, as far as anyone would tell by reading UC Neighbors during
that period, no controversy existed, so there was never any point to be
reached.

"As Karen noted, most of the controversies UC-list once took so seriously are
ignored on UCNeighbors. That is a list better suited to people who are capable
of seeing both sides of an issue. As a result, when they hash out a controversy
and both sides have made their points, they let it drop".

Where is the evidence of that?  First of all, I can't recall any controversies
being discussed there, and in the case of Campus Inn, no one ever even
acknowledged there was an issue, much less discussed it, made a point and then
let anything drop.  In my post, I stated imperical evidence that would lead a
person to conclude that controversies were ignored on UC Neighbors, but
personally, I don't see that as a good thing if the point is to be an alternate
forum for "civilized" discussion.

Ignoring controversy is fine if the subscribers want to maintain the listserv
as a medium for socializing, which UCNeighbors seems to be. There's nothing
wrong with having a purely social network, if that's what they acknowledge it
to be.  But if UCNeighbors is supposed to be a community listserv that
discusses community issues, it falls very short of that mark.

I was on the front lines of the Campus Inn battle and I saw how that project
was being manipulated and rubberstamped through the system via backroom deals,
and how people who were supposed to be representing the community were actually
representing and advocating for the developer.  I'm sure that the people who
were behind that are extremely unhappy that a communications medium that they
do not control shined an unwanted light upon them, and was successful in
defeating their plans. I'm sure that they would not be sorry to see that medium
die. I'm sure they would be happy if an unconfrontational medium took its place.

I'm also sure that were it not for this listserv, things would be very
different today in UC, precisely because neighborhood controversies could have
flown beneath the radar, and backroom deals could have remained in the back
room.  But luckily for the neighbors living in the 40th and Pine "teapot", they
were spared the "tempest" that the Campus Inn would have brought down upon
them.