Glenn,

I think there is indeed a relationship between the city's abrupt turnover of
the property in Susquehanna and what is going on in our neighborhood.  Even
more apropos than Clark Park's immediate fate is, in my opinion, the
disposition of the property at 43rd and Baltimore, once belonging to the city
(i.e., to us, the taxpayers) and now in the hands of a private developer. This
developer's first action was to tear down a house that, arguably, was qualified
for historic certification and protection from demolition and that inarguably
contributed to the unique character of our neighborhood's streetscape.  The
neighborhood remains in the dark about what his plans are for this important
corner.

In fact,the disposition of the Baltimore Avenue property might provide a case
study in the unseemly involvement of our politicians and city administrators in
real estate deals that, at a minimum, do not pass the smell test and are
certainly at odds with the needs and desires of the community.

Over a decade ago, the city transferred this large lot and set of buildings to
the non-profit Women Against Abuse, which turned it into a shelter for abused
women and children.  (I believe there was also a community garden on the
property).  About two years ago, the non-profit sold the property to Thylen
Associates of New York for a sum in excess of $3 million.

What did the taxpayer get back?  Nuthin!  What did Women Against Abuse do with
the money?  They used it to construct a new women's shelter.  Did they spend
their tax-payer donated windfall wisely, you might ask?  Well, all I know is
that, shortly after, a front page story appeared in the Philadelphia Weekly
lamenting the fact that the agency was suffering such severe fiscal
difficulties that it had to cease providing its clients any aid beyond the bare
minimum of a roof and food.  All job counseling and psychological services
previously provided to these needy women and children were suspended.  A visit
to the organization's web site at the time (last year) showed its
administrators grinning in a photo with Joe Campenella, convicted felon,
contractor for 43rd and Baltimore and FOJB (friend of Jannie Blackwell).

 Yes, this is the same Campenella who wanted to turn the property across from
West Catholic into a homeless shelter a few years back.  At that time, Ms.
Blackwell introduced a bill in City Council to circumvent city laws, permitting
a long-term, high-rent sweetheart of a deal for Mr. Campenella. Publicity in
the Inquirerer and neighborhood opposition helped kill that project. But, Mr.
Campenella clearly has his eye on our neighborhood, and he is nothing if not
persistent!  God (and maybe Jannie) only know what he and his associates have
in mind for this prime property overlooking Clark Park!

So, there is certainly a pattern here, I believe, of (some corrupt, some
possibly well-intended) developers, politicians and non-profits engaging in a
particular type of real estate shenanigan. Politicians and their associates
help developers get ahold of city-owned property and make money off of it,
(hold your nose here!)  while using the cover of providing needed social
services.  All to the detriment of Philadelphia taxpayers and the surrounding
neighborhoods.

The Inquirer shone a light on the homeless shelter proposal and helped stop
that. It is now questioning the involvement of city administrators and their
spouses in the Susquehanna elderly housing proposal.   Maybe they'll step in,
if the time comes, and help us stop any inappropriate development at 43rd and
Baltimore.

Mary